This checklist provides a guide to some questions that could help you think about your teenagers’ needs, organise your thoughts and help to put into action a plan for Secondary Specialist School.While this is a guide and you will have further questions, consider printing this checklist to help you begin your investigation, add your further questions which will be specific to your teen and record the information for further reflection after the visits.
1. How is a secondary specialist school different from a regular secondary school?
2. Is a specialist secondary school organised in the same way as a secondary school?
3. What are the benefits of each school?
4. What supports are offered by each school?
5. Is there a possibility of a dual enrolment with a secondary school?
6. What are the post school pathways from each school?
7. How many students are in the class?
8. What time does school start and end?
9. Is there transport support to and from school?
10. What types of additional learning needs do the students have?
11. What knowledge do the teachers have of students with additional learning needs?
12. What are the teacher’s qualifications?
13. What is the process for enrolment?
14. What documentation is required?