As adults there are certain social and behavioural expectations of all of us. There are societal rules required of all of us however, as an adult with a learning disability you may need to practice your understanding of these to ensure you are successful in this area. The following is a checklist of some of the things you need to think about:
1. Do I fully understand what behavioural expectations are?
2. Am I reading the social cues and nonverbal communication?
3. Am I providing enough personal space?
4. Am I listening or blurting out inappropriate comments?
5. Am I distracted and seen as disinterested?
6. Am I taking my turn to speak or am I interrupting?
7. Am I talking too much?
8. Am I randomly changing the topic?